View Single Post
Old 09-07-2022, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_Strat View Post
New lefty bone nut is on the way and I've gotta try decide on strings she's running 12's at the moment but I'm not sure what to get was thinking rotosound monels or elixir phosphor bronze? Anyone got any other recommendations?
Nice back on that one!

I'd try a set of Thomastik Spectrum 12s (SB112) on her, or their brass counterpart (Plectrum AC112). But it depends on the tonal universe you want to explore. Monel is very good if you are looking for a vintage archtop, or more exactly, jazz guitar sound. They'll bring out the mid-rangy character at the expense of the low basses. Not what I'd want when breaking in a new instrument unless that's exactly the kind of sound I'm after.

My Loar currently has the low E and A from the AC112 set, the D and G from the Spectrum 11s (SB111) which have the same tension as their AC counterparts. That gives me deep, mellow basses, a bit punchier mids with a less sudden transition to the twangier plain wire trebles. Like many I've upped the gauge of those, to a 16 B and a 13 E, just to get a rounder sound.

If you haven't ordered your nut yet you could consider a ZeroGlide (the blank, non-precut version).