View Single Post
Old 05-06-2018, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Default Combo Amp for up to $250?

After a couple of years without an electric guitar (having weaned myself off due to a bout with tinnitus that I seem to have learned to manage), I've decided to get back into the "plugged-in waters".

For now, since I sold off all my electric gear, I'll be able to play though my Carvin AG200 (and I'm sure it will sound great), but I will eventually want to get a combo amp (let's say solid state...no more "Oh my back!" tube amps for me ) for my new electric guitar (which I also haven't gotten yet).

I played a few at my local GC today, and the two that impressed me most were the Boss Katana 50 and the Fender Champion 40. I especially liked the Boss because of its acoustic amp setting (not an emulator, but a setting as an electro-acoustic guitar amp). It performed quite nicely as an acoustic amp when I played a Taylor Academy through it.

Besides these two, are there others I should consider in the "up to $250 " price range? My playing is Americana/classic rock/Blues/Psychedelic, and I hope to be playing a lot of leads over looped rhythms.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...