View Single Post
Old 07-24-2010, 09:06 AM
Humanist

I'm very glad to see these kinds of posts, and glad to be referred to the carbon-forum to see the kind of folks from Peavey (and formerly of CA) that may be looking-in on the forums.

I understand fully (well, mostly) the challenges that a start-up like CA faced, with design, product development, manufacturing, marketing & distribution, etc, etc....and there are bound to be limits on what folks in a business can do in this kind of situation.

I was rather sad to see the company close it's doors. under any circumstances. The concept for the Cargo was brilliant, and the market overwhelmed CA with orders. I know that they had their challenges, including that of quality control.

As a former retail-store owner, I took the somewhat unusual path of examining guitars as if *I* were the ultimate customer. "Would I want to come home with this or that guitar" was the question I always asked myself when taking on a new line, or in receiving new merchandise...and this was in regards to structural layout and stability first, and of course also tone, etc. More than a few times I rejected guitars from mass-producers that supplied my store. I would not put a guitar on the wall of my shop if it was even close to needing a neck-reset...and therefore I never had to deal with a customer who "got educated the hard way" after a sale from my shop.

I have been outright lied to by manufacturers saying "we had a batch of bridges come through that were too tall. Your guitar doesn't need a neck re-set, so if you send it to us, we'll simply shave the bridge."

Hogwash. I know a need for neck-reset when I see it!

This, and having some bad-luck on some of my personally-owned wood guitars needing neck re-sets certainly added to my sensitivity to this issue.

Regardless, the more participation on these forums by those "in the know" the better.

Glad to see someone like Jay posting here. I doubt anyone would present anything other than kindness and enthusiasm for his participation in any discussion.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner