View Single Post
Old 05-01-2021, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
Thanks for the explanation, Jon. I still don't understand the theory very well, but it helps to know when my presumptions are wrong.

My thinking on this anti-feedback thing is this: We know that some acoustic guitars are less feedback prone and less boominess prone than other acoustic guitars, irregardless of the performance environment. If TD's, or the VP's, single-dial anti-feedback knob can make my iBeam-equipped D28 react more like a small guitar, then I can get more boominess-free volume when needed for picking with bare fingerpads in a loud setting. It may help to reverse the phase as well, but I won't need to roll-off the entire bass end.

Conversely, when I'm strumming hard and want my D28 to sound like a D28, I'll only have to lower the volume and roll back the anti-feedback dial.
If you want to sound like a mic'd acoustic guitar you are going to have feedback problems if you have that sound on-stage via monitors. The split IR lets you back off the bass enhancement of the IR without touching the de-quack high end.

Minimum phase is a conversion of the IR to one with the same frequency response but a shorter (different) phase response. Another different phase response with the same frequency response is phase inversion. With TD you've got two additional phase responses (phase switch on the back and minimum phase cooked into the character knob) to try out to see if one of them stops the monitors impact to your guitar from being additive to your guitar's pickup.

Then ToneDexter offers the standard bass control (the one that works musically for all of us) and a user configurable notch (computers are really not needed to set one of these).

All-in-all, if when bypassing the IR your guitar is a feedback problem, that needs to be dealt with first before perfecting your tone. Backing off the bass in the floor monitors, or not using floor monitors, are my two favorite solutions.

I think ToneDexter with the DSP built in and what seems to me to be smart programing fully understanding the IR algorithms, is pretty neat.

I hope it's the winner.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields