View Single Post
Old 06-16-2019, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

I am posting this from a refurb Samsung Chromebook a 500C. I got it from Amazon, I am sure for under $200. Never had any issues. It is the one I use for most for surfing. I also have Win10 laptop (wife) and Mac Air (me). I am a retired IT professional and have used and maintained many PC type products. The Chromebook is for me the best compromise of features and safety. I have used Linux on desktops and laptops and would also say it could be reasonably safe but it is more for real gearheads. I still use Win7 and Win10 on desktops but that is certainly more work for me. (backup, virus, etc.).

The main reason I use a Chromebook is safety. From Google:

"The operating system is Sandboxing. On a Chromebook, each web page and application runs in a restricted environment called a "sandbox."
If the Chromebook is directed to an infected page, it can't affect the other tabs or apps on the computer, or anything else on the machine. The threat is contained."

You will have to set up a Google id. That password is required so DO NOT forget it.

Lee