View Single Post
Old 05-05-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
I like TI round-wound jazz strings on one of hollow body electrics. Lower tension than then you'd expect per their gauges, nice mellower tone. Pricey, but unique. Of course there are lots of nice electric guitar strings out there to try. For mellower tone you could try one of the pure nickel sets (not just nickel plated). DR Pure Blues come to mind.
+1 on Thomastik-Infeld round-wounds. I've been using TI Jazz BeBop BB112 round-wounds for all of my solid and semi hollow electrics for a while now. TI also make a lighter version BB111 which are .011 to .047. TI's really seem to ring out and they also seem to have a little longer life than most other brands that I've used.

As Frank Hudson pointed out, Thomastik-Infeld are pretty pricey. I recently tried D'Addario NYXL1149's and NYXL1150BT's. I don't know the nuances of nickel vs. nickel plated, but I will say that I thought the NYXL's wound strings had a very nice ringing tone to them and at half the price of the TI's.

Good luck in your search, and let us know which strings you end up liking on your semi-hollow guitar.