View Single Post
Old 05-19-2011, 07:32 PM

Default Military themed tele build

The idea started a few months ago when I found some WWII general purpose straps in a military surplus store. I had them sewn together to make myself a guitar strap

Well, one thing led to another and I figured I needed an appropriate guitar to pair it with. I've been wanting to build myself a guitar for a while, and I've also been wanting a telecaster for a while as well. I figured with my lack of experience, a tele would be the logical thing to build, so next thing you know, I'm sourcing parts to build one. And by the way, my plan is to build it for under $100, so my sourcing has consisted of begging/borrowing/trading for tools and parts.

I've got a guitar-playing friend with a nice wood shop, so I talked him into building one with me. I bought a plank of douglas fir to make the body from (I'll actually get 3 bodies from one $6 plank), and a neighbor gave me a piece of cherry that I'll use for the neck.

Someone from another forum suggested using an ammo box for different parts, and I found one for $6. I plan on making the bridge, jack plate, neck plate and control plate all from the ammo box. I'll follow up with pics of that later.

As it sits right now, I've sourced all the parts I need and have a total of $80 in the build. We'll see how that goes as we start cutting and gluing.

Hardware-building pics coming up...