View Single Post
Old 07-31-2020, 01:11 PM

Default Picked up a SDOTD - Gemini 'stick' line array

$300 for the PA-300BT system. I knew the limitations of the controls - no tone controls, just limited DSP choices, terrible reverb. 2 combo XLR inputs plus a bluetooth/aux input.

It arrived yesterday, hooked it up this morning.
First tried guitar and mic direct into the inputs. Yep, the 'reverb' is a horrible slap-back echo (simple delay circuit?) Sound was not too harsh.
Next, hooked up my TC Helicon Play Acoustic, with the same settings I've been using for DIing to my Focusrite 8i6 for online streaming. Left the inputs selected to 'mic', with separate lines from the PA to the Gemini and the volume was huge, had to turn the mic gain way down. Did not try switching the inputs to Line, as the sound was much better - guitar was smoother with the PA's IR setting, and the PA's reverb sounded good though the Gemini.
Next I went from the PA to my Mackie mixer, then a single line out to the Gemini. Volume was lower, obviously the mixer's line out is lower then the PA, but I had plenty of leeway with mixer track faders and main fader. The ability for real time EQ is a plus, of course.

Feedback - getting my Taylor dread near the bass unit of the Gemini caused low end rumble feedback pretty quickly. Had to get my Shure SM58 mic 'behind' the line of sound coming from the Gemini stick, whose specs indicate a 120 degree dispersion pattern, otherwise turning up the volume got a high screech feedback. (Sorry, neighbors!)

All this try-out was inside in my place, not a live set up, but I feel I could get a pretty comfortable sound from this for a small venue or outside where I'm playing background music. Having this as monitor and 'front' speaker and a couple of speakers on stands would be acceptable for larger venues.
Of course how long this unit lasts under working conditions is yet to be seen.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele