View Single Post
Old 02-15-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm View Post
Did you have to change the saddle/nut to accomplish the octave strings second in the pairs?
No, for a few reasons. These are all by the same builder who uses a zero fret, so the nut is just to guide the strings to the tuner posts and consequently nut slots are pretty big. They are all archtops with floating bridges and the slot is not as critical as on a saddle on a fixed bridge. Two of these instruments were built to use unison vs octave pairs - so I was going to a smaller string each time I added the octave. One was custom built this way to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ffr0 View Post
This will not work for the Baritone 8 due to the shape of both the bridge and nut and due to the fact that the lower strings are so much bigger
A fourth instrument that went through this treatment was an Eastman MDC805 mandocello. I ran octave pairs on it no problem without any nut or saddle changes, again because it was originally made for all normal gage strings. Last year I converted it to a 6 string archtop guitar with new bridge and saddle. Just a few hour's work to make the new nut and fit the new bridge. It really isn't that hard to replace the nut and saddle on your baritone to switch the octave strings around.