View Single Post
Old 08-12-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I see Bob has once again brought some great info to the discussion (and he posted while I was slowly typing my reply)

First I never assumed you question was anything but an honest sincere question. I simply think that some of the assumptions you are basing it on are misplaced and or not totally accurate.

First to clarify so everybody is on the same page..... you are not hearing "EQ" differences between mic's, EQ is process you apply to the sound of a mic or other sound source , equalization is not inherent in the tonal quality of a mic. You are hearing the sum total tonal differences, which do include but are not simply limited to, frequency response differences.

While certainly EQ is used to alter frequency response, EQ is simply a process of increasing or decreasing volume/level at a specific frequency, or a specific band of frequencies. But again tone is more complex than simple volume differences

So if we step back for a minute and propose "If what you are saying were accurate" then with a good EQ you could then supposedly make any guitar sound like any other guitar. I think you would find this is not case.

While you might be able to get frequency responses closer with EQ between mics or guitars, I think there is still going to be tonal differences .. again just my opinion.
Thanks! I put these "sincere" qualifiers in because on internet forums sometimes folks can't hear attitude and assume snark and attack when instead someone just doesn't understand something (and I'm the later in this case).

Yes, in the old days of 1 Mhz 8 bit processors some (me) naively thought just a little more filtering and we'd be able to approximate any instrument using only the parameters of our synthesizers. Some instruments were fairly easy to get close to (tuned percussion, flutes and the like), some not so much (oh, acoustic guitar...).

I assume digital modeling is behind most "pretty close" guitar approximations, not filter based synthesis.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....