View Single Post
Old 02-12-2019, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
Be it far from my intentions to try to talk you either into or out-of nylon-string guitars, but......putting nylon strings on a steel-string-designed instrument is highly likely to yield the very same unsatisfying results you experienced.

Or you truly want to give nylon a go, you should get a proper nylon-string guitar......or just stay with steel-strings.....whatever you choose.
Hey, Paul. I have been trying a variety of nylon string guitars in the last week or so; truly the first time I have put in the time to hit up some guitar shops to give that a try. Like you, it hasn't been my intention to try to talk anyone into or out of any guitar choice.

Simply relating my experiences and thinking out loud. Did I buy a nylon string guitar and try it for 6 months to give it a fair shake? Nope. And it is certainly not my intent to be negative about the whole nylon thing. I have enough years in that I know what I like... but, I do try to be open about trying new things, especially when spurred on by discussion here. I didn't make the decision about nylon based on my bad experience of putting nylon strings on a guitar made for steel strings... just trying to relate my journey. In the past week, I have spent more time in guitar shops than I have in the last 5 or 6 years combined. Frankly, I wasn't looking for a big dollar nylon, so that obviously plays a part, too. The best sounding nylon guitar I played was a Taylor 312ce-n... but, I'm not looking to spend that much. I played it (after my wife brought it over to me) to get some comparison.

For some perspective, I helped my daughter pick out a couple steel string guitars that she will be letting her middle school students use, and for less than $300 she got two decent sounding/playing guitars. Just comparing options.

I hope I didn't offend anyone by saying the nylon string guitars aren't for me. I don't want to dissuade anyone from finding what works best for them.

My buddy Evan keeps talking about how much he enjoys his "nylon journey" (my words, not his), and I wanted to see what it was all about. I woudn't try to talk him into steel strings, either. Scott (who started this thread) and I seem to have similar tastes in guitars and amplification - I was curious. And now: curiosity satisfied.