View Single Post
Old 02-09-2019, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

I have to say I am very pleased with this guitar!

Sounds warm and full, pretty fair sustain, very responsive to picking, holds up to moderate - light/heavy strumming without "washing out" ... to be honest, I am stunned at the sound this little beast puts out!

As far as my mediocre skill set can determine, intonation seems pretty darn good as well.

The set up looks good, action is right about where I want it ... I am really surprised at all the boxes this thing is checking ...

It is a lot heavier than I expected, and it kind of surprises me still when I pick it up ... weighs easily as much as my 314, but is way smaller. Maybe the all-mahogany construction? laminate sides and back? no matter ...

I did plug it in to a little Fender Frontman 15W just to hear the pickup ... obviously that amp isn't the best at reproducing acoustics, but the electronics seem to work fine; it has phase and a notch filter adjustments - ran a couple tests on those and they appear quite effective.

If I was gong to dink it anywhere it would be the tuners; they aren't the smoothest and the ratio seems pretty low ... I think StewMac has Grover 18:1 drop in replacements for it and I'm thinking about doing that during the first string change ...

I do like some things about the 12-fret aspect, things are definitely in easier reach, and some things seem easier to play as a result. Also, the small body makes it easier to just sit and noodle with in the evening ... I love my 314, but this little guy just seems more ... "approachable" ... if that makes sense ... ?

All and all, I am VERY happy I picked this up - it gives me a parlour, a 12-fret, and an all mahogany guitar, all in one package!

~Paul