View Single Post
Old 02-06-2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
So, for you guys who are playing/enjoying nylon, tell us a bit about what draws you to that.
Hello Jim,
I think part of what I like is the feel and tonal difference between finger picking and digging in with a pick (I use thin picks on acoustics) on nylon. I also have thin lanky finger, so the flatter radius and slightly wider string spacing feels really nice to me.

There is something about the sound on nylon strings when soloing and the nuance between that staccato sound and feel of the strings and neck. I love the same thing about steel string guitars but the nylon strings feel different with their own larger string diameter that I really enjoy when "noodlin'" around with and without a pick.

I have a really cool 6-string nylon Amicus that Alister made for me a couple of years ago that is really, really fund to play. It has a slightly shorter Amicus scale length and is tuned up a full octave from regular guitar. I actually spent some time trying different types of special soprano nylon strings to get a great feel, which is one of my favorite nylon guitars to play.