View Single Post
Old 12-25-2015, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Good video.
Human hearing up to 20,000 hertz.
44,100 sampling rate above double that leaves some headroom for the aliasing filters to operate to fully attenuate frequencies at 22,050 hertz and above while letting 20,000 thousand hertz and below fully through.

When those aliasing filters are substandard to doing that task is where you might hear some differences in the between recording at 44,100 versus a higher sampling rate. Most even lower end digital gear is so much better now than it was a few years ago that it is unlikely to be a problem in any half decent new gear you purchase.

Regarding added effects, say an in the box software reverb, they work at a higher bit depth, they up-sample, do their thing, and then drop back down. Possibly with some software something may occur audibly there between a base sampling rate of 44,100 hertz versus higher. Don't know, but I hedge my bets and thus usually record at 88,200 and keep it there until I am all done.
Thanks for the input and the advise. I found the video easy to understand so it's reassuring to know the information is accurate.