View Single Post
Old 12-25-2015, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
I'd love to know more about the "Guitar(s) by Derek Coombs" but I guess that's a topic for another thread.
Trevor in answer to your basic questions about what sample rate and why. For years I recorded in 44.1 but now tend to use 88.2 or 96 (still have not made up my mind)
A quick history:
My journey in home recording began specifically to be able record to produce a CD.
With this goal I started and stayed for many years with 44.1k believing that #1. it covered the entire range of human hearing and #2. if you were going to end up there you might as well start there.

What started to change my thinking was as I stated earlier while being involved some blind critical listening testing. I was not surprised when my upper range hearing toped out between 14.7k and 15.3k on the prototypical single freq. sign wave test. BUT was quite literally dumbfounded when my score for being able to detect both cuts and boosts to pink noise and music at 16k was something like accurate 74% or 76% of the time.( my age kicking in again )

Humm ? What does that mean? The only logical conclusion myself and the people I was involved with could reach was (and yes this is only a guess) , . Even though I could not hear 16 k as single sign wave frequency, that perhaps I could detect some kind of interaction the effect of a 16k cut or boost was having on frequencies I could hear.

Now back to your question about "air " or presence, or 3D perception (as opposed say flatter 2D and less perception of presence) No matter the disagreement on sample rate, I think it safe to say 24 bit is fairly unanimous.
And I think everyone agrees there are other factors that will have a much greater and more noticeable effect on presence.
Two things that I think make a noticeable improvement in "presence' is using Pre Delay in Reverb ( anywhere from 30 to 80 ms) and the judicious use of Compression.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 12-25-2015 at 09:47 AM.