View Single Post
Old 12-08-2019, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Default Frequencies that make a guitar Stand out in Recording

I find that many modern day Pop recording engineers tend to simplify the recording of an acoustic guitar.
There is some justification for this of course. In a mix where you have Voice, Drums, Bass guitar, Violins, cello & Flute and Acoustic guitar, considerations must be made so that everything is heard in the mix . So instead of capturing the full range of the acoustic guitar, they target the frequencies that make it stand out the most. They do this by boosting or cutting specific frequency ranges.
But now there are so many exotic woods combinations, so many new body & bracing styles. New String technologies. New digital abilities to capture a wider range of dynamics and clarity of frequencies. Some would declare that these new guitars offer More Harmonics, sustain, bloom than there previous factory industry standards.
But many engineers are still locked into the old standards.
This is a very interesting chart put out by sweetwater.

Maybe it is just the terminology..but I am surprised at some of their classifications.
Bloom seems to be in the 50 to 100 hz range
Body is listed in the 200 to 300 Hz range
Presence is of no surprise...listed in the 2k to 5k range.
But there is no mention of Higher frequencies...that might show off the harmonics, sustain, of our modern day Acoustic guitars. I would think would would be very important to acoustic guitar recording.
Especially If Acoustic guitar & Voice were the featured instruments in a pop recording.
What are your thoughts on This charts evaluation of Acoustic Guitar?