View Single Post
Old 03-09-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship of fools View Post
It is not a Washburn almost all had a center spline running down the center back and I went through all of my pictures and descriptions and found some similar but they all had the center spline and all had a decorative inlay running down the back and those that didn't did not match up.And most were made with Rosewood so it helps narrow down things.
And couldn't find anything similar to the Regal family so I would look at Stewart as I couldn't see anything in the Lyon & Healy that was like this especially with the bridge description so doesn't leave a lot does it Also tried to see if Tonk had anything similar but alas nothing there either that jumped out at me.
18 fret guitars are mostly made at around 1880's to 1900 but like all things there were some exceptions so it makes it even more difficult.Also are there other pics as someone mentioned glue showing and do we have actually measurements unfortunate for me have no Larson another question does it have any tailpiece holes on the bottom.

As you note, the problem is there are way too many exceptions to any rule when it comes to these guitars. I own a 1930s Regal with 18 frets and no center spline. Although there is nothing to ID the guitar, in this case, the headstock is a dead giveaway. I do agree though, based on the guitars I have owned, that the lack of a center spline seems to be more commonly associated with guitars built with maple, birch and oak bodies than those with mahogany bodies.