Thread: Archtops 101
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2013, 06:57 PM

now here's an analogy, a wild one, but I tend to think of guitars or breaking in a guitar as similar to breaking in a pair of blue jeans or breaking in a baseball glove, as you use it it's gets softer and looser and feels more comfortable. now a minute ago I was looking at two pairs of New Balance shoes, same exact model, one brand new, hardly been worn, the other pair over four years old, hiked the Grand Canyon in them. The new pair retains it's perfect new shape. the old pair has the shape of my foot. it doesn't have the shape of my kid's foot or my wife's foot, I stretched those shoes out and they are shaped like my feet. now my wife, her feet are smaller, if she starts wearing those shoes, they aren't going to get smaller or bend to the shape of her foot. now my brother's foot, it's a size larger, maybe two sizes larger, he puts his feet in those shoes and starts walking around and he is going to stretch them even further and those shoes won't perfectly match his foot shape since I already broke them in, but they are going to stretch even more and maybe take on some of the characteristic shape of his foot. if you wrap your mind around this analogy you will understand that guitar tops are like shoes.

Last edited by RobertForman; 08-27-2013 at 06:58 PM. Reason: edit