View Single Post
Old 06-06-2018, 08:34 AM

It's been the pinky method for me ever since I learned Travis picking fingerstyle way back in 1965.

When you feel comfortable with your fingerpicking, give it a try with a plastic thumbpick and at least two metal fingerpicks. I like National 0.013 metal fingerpicks because they are easy to mold to your finger shape and yet stiff enough to make your guitar really ring if you stand on it.

My Travis style teacher was my college roommate. He was a child prodigy guy and could melt the strings off anything that had strings on it. He refused to teach me fingerstyle unless I wore a plastic thumbpick and three metal fingerpicks!

I'm darn glad he did that. While to this day it is easier to play fingerstyle without wearing any picks, it sounds SO much better when I do wear them that that's how I always play unless it's a song requiring use of a flatpick.

I actually do get numerous compliments about my tone and those offering praise usually state, "You've got a great sounding guitar there!" Truth is, 85% of my tone is those thumb/fingerpicks. They make ANY guitar sound very good indeed!

Go pinky style and start working with those fingerpicks. You'll be glad you did!

Last edited by 6L6; 06-06-2018 at 08:41 AM.