View Single Post
Old 07-18-2019, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duque View Post
thanks for that explanation.

So..if there is too much backbow it would affect the action as in too high? But the action could be high and the relief correct - a result of a high saddle or nut. I'm guessing there is more to it - like why there is relief in the first place.

is there a standard measurement for relief?

I do admit to thinkin the truss rod was there for the action. Still learning...
Don't ever be afraid to ask questions, that's what this forum is for. Too much upbow, also regarded as too much relief will have higher action, especially in the middle of the fretboard. All manufacturers have their own typical specs for neck relief and action. That's also why most guitars have higher action than most people prefer when they're new. Some people like high action and it's much easier for manufacturers to ship their guitars with higher action as it's easy to sand down the saddle afterwards. You're also correct it's possible to have proper neck relief but still have high action. Ideally we want a straight neck. Completely straight necks usually result in feet buzz which is why we want some slight relief. I used to set my guitars up with .007 neck relief but I don't measure it anymore. As long as there's a little relief I'm content. Just put a capo on the first fret, place one finger high up on the fretboard, typically where the neck meets the body (14th fret on most guitars) and with another finger pushing down on the 7th fret there should be a small gap. That's your neck relief.

Last edited by GuitarLuva; 07-21-2019 at 10:36 AM.