View Single Post
Old 04-29-2019, 08:29 PM

I had the NS neck on a previously owned Shorty. I think I tried talking myself into keeping that guitar because i knew I would take a loss in the used market- especially since I got stuck with a bad beat poker hand after RainSong announced their massively discounted CH-OM (same guitar just looks different). I tried to tell myself the neck was okay, and it was actually fine when I was playing on the money frets. However, moving up the neck I grew increasingly tired of fighting it. Way too chunky.

Long story short- these neck are not made for the fingerstyle player in my opinion. Does Steve Miller ever play fingerstyle? Space Cowboy with arpeggiated chords?

Nope.

Steve (Doubleneck) had it right when asking why RainSong would put all their eggs in one basket with the N2 or NS neck and call their work done. I think they are more suited to a flat picking bluegrasser or strummer but playing in the classical position (with the thumb in the center of the back of the neck) just didn't work for me and I quit lying to myself that I could acclimate. I sold that guitar and openly apologize to Steve for criticizing his criticism He was right and I didn't want to face the music.

RainSong makes wonderful instruments but more choices in neck profile and non cutaway models would definitely get my attention again. I love the tone of their guitars. I love the look. RainSong are you listening?