View Single Post
Old 08-10-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3waytie4last View Post
I'm curious if you guys that play Bert stuff use thumb picks. Rolly doesn't in his videos.

I've been playing for over 30 years, but only started finger picking in the last few. I have been debating if I should bite the bullet on getting used to a thumb pick or just sticking with bare fingers.
I use nails myself. I did try using thumbpick and fingerpicks when I started out (50+ years ago), but never really got on with them. I liked the strong clean sound, but they always felt clumsy. Luckily my nails are in good condition: my thumbnail is particularly strong, never breaks, and easily reaches the bass strings even when I rest my wrist on the bridge.

Bert's own use of a thumbpick was inspired by the old blues guys (he saw Brownie McGhee in person when he was 16 or 17), and valued the volume it gave him when playing instrumentals in folk clubs with no mics. Legend has it he once made one out of a teaspoon he found in the club's kitchen, bending it round his thumb. He was an aggressive player in those days, and that was one thing that impressed people: astonishing technique, and LOUD!