View Single Post
Old 07-29-2010, 09:29 AM

Default DIY refinishing?

I have two Sada Yairi classical guitars (B&M Soloists) from 1965, one of which is cosmetically very beaten up and needs some repairs. (Still sounds great!).

I was toying with the idea of sanding the whole thing (neck, body and headstock down), which would help remove some of the worse scars. It'd be then down to the bare wood, so would presumably need to be treated in some way (?). I'd be very happy for it to look natural or have a satin finish. Is there an economical, DIY means of refinishing/sealing which doesn't require expensive equipment or materials or loads of time. I seem to remember something about boot polish!?!?

Any pointers on how best to sand the guitar down also appreciated (the top in particular is what concerns me, since I don't want to thin it too much for obvious structural reasons).

If this is an entirely crazy idea, let me know! I don't suppose it's worth a huge amount, given its condition and I have another, so it's not the end of the world if it doesn't turn out brilliantly.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Kostal MDC German/claro and OM Euro/Madrose
Larrivee L-05MT
Lowden O35cx cedar/EIR, New Lady, Baritone, O12 and O12-12
McIlroy A25c custom Cedar/Kew black walnut
Montgomery fan fret parlour Euro/ebony
Sands Baritone Swiss/Ovangkol (another due 2022)
Wingert Model E German/Braz
Yairi 1960s Soloists