View Single Post
Old 07-07-2019, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
It’s been a pleasure discussing with you Aspiring.

My advice is to narrow down your choices to 2-3 ( as you’ve done), listen to a lot of samples, look at a lot of photos and videos, heck even call Collings. Mark Althans and his customer service group is fantastic at answering your questions and getting the right guitar into your hands.

If you like 335 types, there are lots of them used on Reverb, some sitting for a while. It’s a buyers market, despite recent price hikes. Find one in “players condition”. Ask about the neck profile (50’s or 60’s, check Collings website).

I’m guessing if you like your SA2200, you’ll really love an I35 or Soco.

The Eastside and other jazz type archtops are different guitars entirely. In a really good way, of course.

Somewhere else on here, agf, Goodallboy has posted an item on his recent Collings electric. Check it out and maybe inquire for further impressions on his post?

You’d be hard pressed to find someone who didn’t like, or dissed, a Collings I35lc. Any negatives toward the brand are almost always “it’s not a Gibson (LP, 335), which is correct, it’s not. Other than that, it’s personal and no one can decide that but you.

The I35, btw, is smaller bodied and lighter than your SA - a good thing imo.

Best wishes, Mark.
I had the chance to try two new I35s yesterday at Dusty Strings in Seattle. A deluxe solid top and a 35lc. I really enjoyed the clarity in the LC and the warmth in the deluxe.

I also have a line on a seventy seven exrubato full hollow standard for a good price. I would definitely need to try the Collings back to back in the same room with the same amp as my Yamaha. From impressions I liked the playability slightly more on the Yamaha but the tone on the Collings with a Vox 20 watt combo was gorgeous.