View Single Post
Old 06-19-2019, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

I have a very close longtime friend who manages a guitar shop. I've been active on multiple guitar forums for many years, while he's always just been a "lurker". He also doesn't have a store PayPal account. So when he sees something that he'd like for the store, he'll ask me to make an offer on it. He's not unreasonable, but needs to make a profit. If I'm uncomfortable with the offer, I'll tell him. Sometimes he'll amend the offer to something I am more comfortable making. Others I'll just see if the seller is interested. It's never personal and I always understand both sides of the coin (being both a prolific buyer and seller... AND trader). Anyways... I get lowball offers on my stuff, so I really do understand how that feels as a seller. But unfortunately/fortunately... it's been a buyer's market for years. It often benefits me (as a buyer), and even more often it pains me (as a seller). It is what it is. Personally though, when I'm making an offer on something for myself... I rarely low-ball (if ever). I've always been uncomfortable playing that game. If I want something, I'm willing to pay a fair price for it and I have always hated dickering. It comes from my dad, who also hated playing those games. While other people seem to enjoy the art of the deal. I just want to get whatever new toy I'm salivating over, as quickly as possible, without games.