View Single Post
Old 03-30-2015, 06:49 PM

So, I went to GC today to spend some time in the acoustic room. Mostly it was to firm up details for my build, but also if something amazing popped up, I might be tempted. Anyway, I learned a few things. Taylors are freaking loud! Great note separation, too much in fact for my taste. Other thing I learned, my ear stinks. I played all sorts of different guitars, and I couldn't tell much between Mahogany, Ovangkol, or rosewood. It all sounded good. I pretty much firmed up what I already told Ed to make for me. OM 25' scale, 1 3/4 nut, ebony bridge and finger board, curly maple binding. Now that I think about it though, the biggest components of this build I couldn't try. No lutz, no walnut. Bummer. Gotta trust the luthier I suppose.

The biggest surprise was after playing a Taylor 4something, 814ce, 000-28EC amongst others, the best sounding one in the whole shop to my ear was the $700 used Larrivee L-03R. So balanced. It got me really excited that I'm going to love this guitar, knowing where Ed cut his teeth.

Fender Mexican Tele
Samick C4 Nylon
Mom's Mexican street vendor nylon, Pre 1970