View Single Post
Old 12-21-2015, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
Did they tell you what it is about the sound they appreciate at the high sample rate?
You know, it's funny, I was invited to a party by a friend a while back, who had friends who were audiophiles - sand-filled speaker bases and all kinds of gear I've never heard of and so on, and they had downloaded my CD in high-def. I show up, and they're raving about how good the CD sounds, and want me to hear it on their system. But of course, there's a party going on, and on top of that they put it on at about the lowest level possible, so I could just barely hear some guitar tinkling away in the background. But they were just beaming over how great it sounded, so all I could do was nod and thank them for letting me hear it. Maybe they had incredible ears and could hear a difference even at a sub-audible volume, who knows.

I could imagine (no basis for this, just wildly guessing) that a higher sample rate might work better for some plugins and other digital manipulations where accumulated errors might play a role. Same with using 32 bits or 64 bits internally, and so on. Sometimes I think I prefer the sound of 88/96 to lower rates, but logically, I know I can't hear it and would never pass a blind test. In any case, this is definitely in the "I think someone might be able to hear it, or at least imagine it?" category, not "wow, that recording sounds better". So I don't think it plays much of a role in understanding how to get a good sound.