View Single Post
Old 03-13-2022, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Honestly don't really understand exactly what point you are trying to make ??

What "might change sooner than later" ?

Apple was vocal about not wanting to allow iPhone users to download apps not in the App store. Which I am guessing is more about the money than possible Russian hackers. But I don't really know Apples motivation

And speaking of motivations , what exactly do you see as the motivation for Russian hackers to hack into iLok ?? Are you saying they would want to steal my software licenses or something ?

And finally FYI ,,,iLok does not have to "return to a USB dongle" because they never left, and now they have a new one that is USB-C
The point she really fails to recognize is this...
For a lot of years it has felt like Apple has mostly ignored the higher end home studio and small pro studio community (which has a lot of overlap so far as computing needs go). The new Mac Studio computers seem to be aimed, at least in part, at that community.

Here's what I mean... when I bought my iMac it very much felt like a compromise going from a Mac Pro cheese grater. My choices, however, were limited. It was either the iMac or the Mac Pro trash can. Neither was a great choice for me (the trash can certainly got no love in the audio community). A main reason I went with the iMac because the cost of the trash can was going to be prohibitive due to having to add on some expensive peripheral gear, mostly regarding storage. The same was true of the iMac but the cost in the end was easier to justify.

Along comes the Mac Studio and Apple has lowered the cost of main drive storage to the point where the 4Tb option isn't totally unreasonable (the 8Tb option still feels overpriced) and the cost of memory is also reasonable. I never really wanted nor needed the iMac screen at the time I purchased it. I didn't expect Apple to offer me a solid non-iMac choice in the new lineup so I'm thrilled with the Studio Mac option. It feels like Apple finally found a sweet spot for the higher end home studio and small pro studio community.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube