View Single Post
Old 09-29-2016, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowManSnow View Post
My first project won't be building a guitar at all though. If I have time tomorrow I plan on starting a go-bar deck.
By the way is there a cheaper alternative to the go bar brand bars? Will the fiberglass rods used for driveway markers work if cut to length?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I understand. I spent the first 6 months building a mold, bending forms for a Fox bender, tried making cam clamps and made a fixed-height go bar deck out of MDF and steel pipe. I'd recommend using threaded rods instead of steel pipe so that you can adjust the height of you gobar deck.

Driveway markers should work, provided they're short enough. Just be sure to cut them in half and put caps on the cut ends. If you can, wrap them in tape or some sort of protective coating. If you get a splinter from a splt casing it will be impossible to see and hurt like the dickens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
I have some of the fiberglass marker rods. Also bought some clear pine boards with clear even grain (hey, might have made good guitar wood) and cut some strips to use as rods.
I've used pine firring strips from the hardware section of one of the big box hardware chains. When they fail is can be "spectacular." I was looking at the driveway markers today but could only find ones 48" long for $3 apiece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon/Tinker View Post
I'm with kwakatak on this.

The easiest wood to bend is rosewood. Since in another post you've said it'll be on a hot pipe, I'd go with that. It also is a great tonewood.

Same with the bloodwood bindings. They're jerks.

I don't know if you've considered it, but a kit might be a good way to begin...
I disagree on the last. Even as a stark noob who hadn't used woodworking tools since junior high shop class in 1982 I found the process of working with raw materials to be "transformative" and educational.