View Single Post
Old 05-26-2018, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muser View Post
Thanks for replying in such detail, that's definitely helpful!

Sounds like a WS might actually be livable for me, even though I'm 5'10", in my forties and probably have a bit more padding than you (my kids would probably say more than a bit) even though I've been trying to work out.

Thanks for the heads up on the Black Ice WS but I actually don't like Rainsong's standard bling (abalone, etc), so the minimalism of the CH range is really appealing, and lower cost is always nice. Plus, Ted's international shipping rates aren't attractive (I got a quote from him) although I'm well aware of his sterling reputation for both aggressive pricing and reliability for Stateside folks.

The search continues. Now if I can just stop obsessing about stainless steel frets vs nickel silver for all the CF options on the market...

Yeah, at 54 the fitness challenge is real, lol. I found a few good routines to purchase that helped me tremendously. PM me if you want any details.

I figured Ted's shipping would exclude him. For what it's worth, I found the CH too warm. Though not muddy, it didn't give off the highs that I want to hear. According to Rainsong, it is their currently most popular model, but I would probably opt for the H, if that ever comes along in a short scale, or some other less ornamented WS short scale. I'm still very torn between an H-WS, Classic and BI. I think the classic fits where I want it to be, can't find one with a retailer willing to offer a deal. I wish I had been able to A/B a Hybrid vs a Black Ice. I really like the tone of my H-OM, great volume, has been my main gigging acoustic because of how easy it is to own and play.

Enjoy the hunt!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)