View Single Post
Old 01-24-2020, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

As long as the suggestion box is open, I'd like to share an idea that might make custom ordering a little easier. I recently placed a "custom" order with Emerald which was only slightly custom in my mind. I ordered an X30 with a Black Limba veneer top and no electronics. All else would be standard. As most of us know, raw wood and finished wood look different, especially given the exotic grained woods used by Emerald. Even so, there was a bit backing and forthing with Kevin over several days regarding the top. He was very helpful; but if Emerald had a page showing the various veneers in their raw form and then their finished appearance, I think I could have made my decision more quickly and without taking up so much of Kevin's time. I've added pictures of my Black Limba veneer top in raw form and a different guitar with a finished Black Limba top as an example. As veneers are ordered by customers and no longer available, raw veneer pictures could be replaced by others without the need to change the finished example which is only shown to represent wood appearance and not guitar shape.

Although my order didn't have any variations from standard specs, I sense that a lot of custom orders get pretty elaborate in regard to design/measurement alterations. I'd propose that Emerald use an interactive page on their website that would allow customers to work up their ideas which are then passed on to Emerald staff for review and pricing. Just a thought.

The other thing I'd suggest is that Emerald produce a no-cost variation of the X10 with a 1 3/4" nut.

Last edited by RP; 11-20-2021 at 07:06 AM.