View Single Post
Old 11-11-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Peavey added CF rods (to minimize relief changes due to string gauge changes) and angled the necks slightly back to raise the saddle height (probably more about marketing guitars to people who know a new WOOD guitar should have some saddle to sand as the guitar ages). This is if my recollection of what they posted on the AGF after buying CA's post bankruptcy assets is accurate. I think they did this across the entire product line. I owned an original CA Legacy, GX, OX, and Cargo at one time or another. All of them had the kind of saddle height that would bother me with a new wood guitar but only the OX had so much relief and a marginal neck angle that I should have returned it. I sold it on eBay (documented its condition) at quite a loss.

If there is no price motivator, I would always take a Peavey CA over an original.
I do my own setups and pickup installs and used to keep notes on the more interesting cases. Here is what I've got on that OX:

Neck Relief w/12's
Measured high E side: 19/1000"
Measured low E side: 15/1000"
Action with minimum saddle at 12th fret (bottom of string to fret):
7/64" low E, a bit more than 6/64" high E

I think for many players that would be fine, but I typically set up for 5 mils of relief, 3/32" low E, and 2/32" high E action. The rest of my CA's of the day, for which I also have notes, were easily setup to my standard action spec and had unremarkable relief (less than 10 mils). Again none of them had the kind of saddle height I would demand on a new Martin, but that won't matter for a CF product that is not going to creep like wood. So 3 out of 4 original CAs I owned were fine. Like every other guitar I've owned except one, I got bored with them and sold them (no doubt that one will be on eBay someday too...).

I like CA's for their tone and styling, and don't see anything but goodness in what Peavey claimed to have done with the designs of those guitars. Probably even less important for the lower tension short scale Cargo than the full sized instruments.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 11-11-2018 at 03:02 PM.