View Single Post
Old 12-24-2020, 10:59 AM

I rarely watch any video through without skipping ahead, but every second of yours was worth it. Amazingly well done, and obviously a ton of planning, recording, and post production effort went into it! This sets the bar rather high for all future guitar reviews, IMO. Emerald would do well to link to your video as a sales tool for any CF skeptics.

Tone: Listening carefully on good computer speakers, I found that the tone was quite close between the Taylor and the X20 - both were modern in character and clarity, with the X20 being just a bit richer. The D-28 was typical Martin dreadnought tone, and the difference was discernible. All of them sounded fine, so the choice really comes down to personal preference. Personally I'd always trade a bit of classic wooden tone for the wonderful ergonomics, especially since the X20 really owes no apologies to anyone on tone. Your new X20 does not have the overly brash character that my new one does (an admitted outlier). I will have to try the Santa Cruz strings as I progress through the types, trying to find the type that is "just right".

Stringing: Since I am busy experimenting with different string types to tame the tone, my new X20 it is now on set #5 in six weeks. Normally any one of my guitars does not get five string changes in a year, unless I am busy gigging. My first attempt was using a golf tee to hold the string end at the bridge. The key discovery was that it drops into the hole at a 45° angle, not perpendicular to the top. The golf tee worked really well to hold the ball end in place, and there were some laying about anyway. But with a heavier medium gauge low E string (56) the flared tee binds once the string was brought up to tension and had to be gently pulled with pliers. So I next tried a regular slotted bridge pin, and that works a bit better. I may sand a flat side onto some golf tees and keep one in every case, plus my guitar tool kit. Just remember the 45° angle then using a dowel or bridge pin works well.