View Single Post
Old 04-05-2020, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
He was a huge influence on a lot of people and players. Not the demographic here, but that’s ok. Was able to convey deep feeling with his voice and lyrics. Tragic, tortured soul, who made a lot of mistakes. Very gritty and human.

I’ve grown to appreciate their music more as time has worn on, mostly the earlier work. Grohl remains a huge talent. Ran into him once in a car dealership in Auburn in the late 90s. Super nice guy.
Kurt was incredibly influential and changed music, when it desperately needed to be changed. Sure, the Pixies were a better band, and the Seattle scene had a number of other talented artists emerging at the same time. But Nirvana brought that sound to the mainstream and led a music revolution that outlived Kurt into the latter half of the decade.

Kurt was overwhelmed with fame and the attention that came with it. He struggled with depression and addiction, and he didn't have the right support structure until it was too late. People like Michael Stipe tried to intervene, and if he'd been successful, it would have been amazing to see where Kurt's creativity would have taken him.

I quoted Dirk above b/c I agree that it's the wrong demographic here. But Kurt's influence flashed brightly in a dark time and will hold up on the corner of alternative music like Hendrix did 25 years earlier.

Grohl is a nice guy, but FF are a band of diminishing returns, IMHO. I enjoyed the HBO series he did 5-6 years ago and can't figure out what it's not available to stream in my HBO Go app.