View Single Post
Old 10-21-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonius View Post

Since the Timberline wasn't designed to have posts, Would the harp side headstock be able to handle that much lateral pressure?
Ours probably has one of the more robust sub heads out there, I wouldn't worry about that.
Re sharping lever projects: Here's a reveal that I don't think has ever been publicly discussed: There is no standardization in direction of geared sub tuners. Since they are perpendicular to neck, neither direction (to raise or lower pitch) feels "right" or "wrong" - they're both arbitrary. To save on hardware costs, some builders who use 6-string sets end up with every other harp guitar's subs going in one direction, then the other (no one has noticed this or complained about it to my knowledge).
Our design had me sweating tuner placement and then knob rotation direction like crazy...until I realized that, without nut posts installed (btw, the coming-off-the-tuner shaft design was my own idea over a decade ago with one of my old Knutsens), the string could come of either side of the shaft, and the tuners thus rotated in the direction that "feels right" to the player. Simple. The 3/16" difference left<>right change at the head is imperceptible to one's right- or thumb-wrapping left-hand thumbs. I probably won't advertise this fact or "option" as it's probably TMI and much too confusing for the Newbie.
I mention this only for you sharper-obsessed shoppers who might use this to your advantage if/when attempting adding them down the road. Bass tuners on half of my Knutsens don't rotate in the same direction, which one gets used to...or tuners could be swapped with opposing gear to all work in the same direction.
PS: Question for Phil: Can your harpist wife help source harp tuners? On my harpguitars.net forum, folks were struggling, as Betty Truitt was mysteriously AWOL for some time. Back in business? Other options? (Benoit Meulle-Stef gets some nice ones in Europe, but they're larger.)

Last edited by Gregg Miner; 10-21-2017 at 12:03 PM.