View Single Post
Old 01-21-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _zedagive View Post
Better question: Why did the Browns run him out of town?
First and foremost...
He committed THE MORTAL SIN and announced that he was replacing home town hero Bernie Kosar at QB citing "diminishing skills" as his reason. He did it at a press conference to the Cleveland Sports Media, literally out of nowhere. Even if it was justifiable and it may well have been, this was a horrific way to treat a player who was loved by the fans and led the Browns to the playoffs multiple times. His delivery of the decision was cold, heartless and he came off badly. He had no idea how deeply Bernie was entrenched in the hearts of Browns fans. His relationship with the media and the fans in Cleveland went from already pretty bad to terrible. He was already terse and snooty in his post-game stuff and he hadn't done diddly squat to earn that right. That was the beginning of the end. He's lucky he got out of town in one piece.
Bill has admitted publicly he totally mishandled his relationship with the press and the fans in Cleveland as well as the Bernie Kosar thing.
While I don't hold any ill feelings toward him myself, I do believe he is a very weird and pathetic figure. If you espouse to "winning is everything", he's your boy. And so, as a player, once you're used up in his eyes, you're unceremoniously gone.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 01-21-2019 at 08:07 PM.