View Single Post
Old 10-26-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
And there have been restaurants where that had been tried, and the restaurant ended up belly-up because it couldn't be sustained. Or the establishment finds that kiosks are a cheaper alternative. I prefer to give my order to a human being, and I believe that those who give good service should be rewarded - it provides an incentive.

Basically it comes down to the particular market. In a posh restaurant, salary based waiters may work out. At a mom-and-pop diner, maybe not. Paying the help a living salary does not necessarily guarantee they will give good service; it sometimes breeds complacency as their pay is guaranteed regardless of service provided.

It’s been found that in general the whole “good service good tip” incentive is pretty much a myth. The average person either tips well, or tips bad or doesn’t tip at all regardless of the service rendered. Because most people see the job just like any other job, and tipping as optional. Like I said earlier, in many countries tipping is either discouraged, or outright banned, yet restaurants don’t go under, and their service employees are fairly compensated.

To add to Bob’s post, not only being a server is exactly that, a low skill job, but you also agree to being paid lower than minimum wage and depend on tips. You don’t get enough tips to be able to pay the rent? Well who’s fault is that?