View Single Post
Old 02-11-2016, 06:37 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
That is really pretty Mark. Such an organic look to all the appointments and as you say the details make such a difference when they all fit, as your certainly do.
I wish you would share some of your photo secretes. All your pics look professionally done. Do you have a dedicated photo booth? If so would you take pics of that sometime?
Thanks John,

The trick with photography is to spend your time building guitars and minimize the time it takes to take and post pictures. Here is a look "behind the curtains" at what I do;

In a back corner of my shop I have hung a black bed sheet (from Walmart) and there are 3 LED photo lamps; a backlight, a diffusing umbrella, and a more direct light. I have an old oak table with a green towel from Bed Bath and Beyond.
My camera is already on a tripod and it has wifi. It talks to my i-phone so I can control it remotely and grab the pictures. My i-phone talks to Flickr so the pictures are there waiting for me to post.

Another thing is I always do everything on this workbench:

You will notice it has wheels. At any point while building that I wish to have a guitar in process picture I simply roll it over to the corner and shoot it quick.
I've thought of devoting a thread somewhere to this work bench.
It also is a down draft table, it has a 100lb granite machinist's block in it which helps keep it steady and is my flat reference. It holds a ton of clamps or I can pull it over to where the tool I need is without letting go of whatever it is I can't let go of. It is also small so I have to clean up after each step before I start the next (that's a big deal).

So if that sparks any better ideas let me know!

Mark

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright