View Single Post
Old 06-24-2022, 04:25 PM

Not sure why the knowledge about Logic Pro X was so hard to get. It could be that the folks you asked heard a difficult rather than simple question.

If you own any version of Logic Pro X (ever 10.0.xx) you can (and probably should run on your new Studio Mac) the newest version at no extra charge. I jumped to Logic X as soon as it came out, and upward compatibility hasn't ever been an issue. User interface has some modest changes, and there are a great many new features, some of which I've never used, so they don't "bother me."

But you asked about transferring your older version of Logic. and that may have stumped the Apple people. Not out of licensing legality, but if it would even work on newer computer hardware and a newer version of MacOS. I'd think the reason no one knows that (if that was the question) is no one (or close to no one) wants to do that. Thinks like any older sessions you have or templates should transfer over for your old Logic when you move your user data by hand or with with Apple migration assistant. The old software itself has no reward to it's install.

A first install of Apple Logic Pro X and all its VI instrument library does take a good deal of time over the Internet, but you can basically tell it to go get everything and let it go about its business. I myself wouldn't pay $199 to have Apple do it if I already had a license, but then I'm cheap.

If you end up using an external drive for VI sample libraries (I do) you can later tell Logic to move all the free with Logic VI sample libraries to another drive after everything is downloaded and installed.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....