Thread: Awaiting...
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2018, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

Well, it is official: New Guitar Day!

Probably more details about getting it today than necessary, but the link is here...

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2018/10...e-sayings.html

The highlights: the lady delivering our mail today wasn't driving the usual USPS van. When she saw me with the pink slip from our mailbox, she said, "I have that box in my car - is that something you want today?"

OMG - YES!!

Had she not been there when I went to check mail, it would have been tomorrow before I could have picked it up - at the Post Office.

She slid the box out of her back seat and the far end of it whacked down onto the pavement... sure hope it is packed good.

The box (the red circle is where there is a small hole punched in it)...

I ordered the gig bag instead of the Hiscox case. The Hiscox case is great, but a gig bag fits better with our traveling style (and I am running out of places to stash hard shell cases)...

The good news: the guitar is in perfect condition.

I played it acoustically for a while, then compared it to the X20 and the X7...

The X10 is on the left in both of the above images.

And then to plug it in... it kicks! Joan and Rufus came in to listen. Rufus is in charge of my security...

A couple of the Emerald provided glamour shots...

I like the Crystal Ice on the back and sides. I also requested "a bit more shading" on the edges, and they did a great job with that.

I'm not a big fan of the D'Addario strings it ships with, and I'll be changing those out for some Elixirs after I spend some more time with this lovely guitar.

The 1 11/16ths inch nut and thinner neck (as compared to my X7 or X20) is an absolute delight. The access to the upper frets, even with the shorter scale and 13-frets to the body that I ordered, is as good as any electric I've owned. The action on this is low and sweet. Right out of the box, it plays faster and easier than any of my other acoustics.

I have seen some discussion here about the X10 being brighter than the X7 or X20 acoustically - my ears confirm that. It is still a nice acoustic tone, and good balance. We'll see what a change of strings and perhaps gauge does for this.

I'll try to post something with some sound comparisons in the next few days. If you need me, I'll be in my guitar room.

Last edited by Captain Jim; 10-09-2018 at 04:23 PM.