View Single Post
Old 12-06-2008, 06:05 PM

Default Silk and Steel strings: Why don't they get any respect?

It seems like any time I see "silk and steel" strings mentioned here, people just don't seem to care for them.

I've even asked at several stores about them, and they all seem to say there's no way I'd ever want them on a guitar.

Well, a couple of weeks ago, I tried some out. I wanted to put some new strings on the four Gretsch American series guitars that I bought earlier this year. These are going to nieces/nephews for Christmas this year, and I thought they'd appreciate the decreased tension and the ease on the fingers.

So, I put a set on one of the guitars, expecting to be very disappointed and not buy any more. Wrong!

These things were not the "tone robbers" that so many people seem to think they are.

Yes, they do "mellow" out the tone, and decrease the perceived volume. Some say it takes the "twang" out of steel strings . . I wouldn't describe it as that, really. I just think it decreases the attack (whether you're using fingers or picks) relative to the sustain.

They don't sound like nylon strings on a classical guitar . . but they perhaps sound like a cross between steel and nylon strings . . . maybe 1/3 of the way toward nylon.

Next, I decided to try a set on my Composite Acoustics Cargo. Again, I expected to be disappointed, but I was pleasantly surprised.

I guess I'll have to try them out on a "real guitar" next. Probably one of my McKnights . . probably the Deacon. Somehow I suspect that I won't be disappointed.

Then I'll finally get brave enough to try them on something like my Taylor or R Taylor.