View Single Post
Old 05-29-2019, 02:42 PM

Classical guitar is not my expertise, but I do know a guy who majored in classical guitar performance at university through the PhD level. He practiced for 8-9 hours a day - including late at night - and they were pretty strict about quiet hours in the dorm. He eventually got an inexpensive classical guitar with an acceptable neck, then put in an under-saddle pickup, and sprayed the entire body full of expanding urethane foam from the home improvement store. That killed all acoustic tone and is irreversible (hence the cheap guitar). He had to wear headphones to hear himself practice and the tone was not ideal, but it worked for his situation. Hope this helps.

Unfortunately good sound isolation at walls is not a priority in normal residential design or construction, even though there are some requirements in most building codes. It is not that hard to do, but most builders don't know or don't care how to do it right, because it might cost a few dollars more per unit to build. Having a particularly sensitive neighbor exacerbates your problem.

The Yamaha Silent Guitar also seems like a viable option too. I'm not a classical guitarist, so cannot comment on brands/models, or their specs such as neck profiles, scale length, and such that would suit you.