View Single Post
Old 05-09-2019, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
Tony, sounds like we're similar. I did my service, worked, retired early, invested well and enjoy my things. I owe no one. I am lucky to have perfect health (along with my wife) and no expenses. HOWEVER our biggest difference is I love variety and have very different great guitars - no two alike.

Enjoy those guitars.

Steve
Steve,

Good. I had hoped there were more folks that had similar stories (the guitar part, even though this is a guitar site, is less important to me personally than the rest). I have tried a lot of guitars over the years and still have a couple of fine wood instruments (Huss & Dalton 00, Kelday 000, and Brunton classical, all 12 fret).

However, I really, and immediately, took to the Cargo with its short scale and small body. As I mentioned in another post, to me the McPhersons are what the Cargo could have "grown up" to be, given the same attention that McPherson gives its products. The issue for me is that I broke my right wrist years ago, and lost much of the rotation of my wrist. It is difficult for me to hold a larger guitar and play cleanly, and it gets worse as I get older.

So, for me, these guitars allow me to continue to play in the style I enjoy - fingerstyle. I suppose I could have a larger instrument and strum away, but I have never had an interest in doing that, though listening to others do it is fine. So these guitars are my ticket to continuing to be able to play, which is, for me, very important.

No other guitar I have played fits me as well as these. I do seriously consider selling my wood instruments because they rarely get played. All of my Cargos and McPherson Tourings, have the same scale and essential body size, so they are all well matched to my needs. Also, their small size is not a compromise in terms of sound. They were well designed and built, taking advantage of the unique properties that carbon fiber affords.

Over the years, I have found some old Gibsons and Martins from the 1920s +/- a few years that would fit me well enough. However, those can be crotchety, just as we can become as we age. They are rather fragile and require attention to environmental factors even ore than more modern builds. My last old guitar of that type was a 1917 Martin 00 size. My carbon fiber guitars are easier playing (even with the Martin getting a neck reset and setup, though it did play fine) and require absolutely no care other than occasionally changing strings.

I agree with you that "no two are alike", and we often don't know the reasons for why we each choose what we do - until we get into that discussion. There are some very solid and practical reasons for my choices in guitars. In other areas of my life, I do like variety, such as so-called "ethnic restaurants, a variety of reading material, etc.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...