View Single Post
Old 11-28-2017, 06:11 PM

Default Help in choosing acoustic amp for home use

I'm a newbie here at AGF. It’s the first time that I’m in the market for an acoustic amp. I’m not a performer. I’m a recreational player who mostly plays at home, and often along with mp3’s. I like the volume up there for a lot of songs, so I’ve been plugging my higher end Guild acoustic with DTAR sound into an old but somewhat powerful electric guitar amp. Of course I don’t hear great sound out of those two 12 inch speakers and I want to remedy that with an acoustic amp. I want to really hear the subtleties of rosewood and top end spruce.
I notice so many acoustic amps around the 50 watt range have one 6.5 or 8 inch speaker. I always thought that bigger speakers would give me better or fuller sound or maybe a better bass. That seemed to be true 5 decades ago when I picked up my first guitar. (I’m older than I look! ) I suspect advances in speaker technology have improved things a lot over those decades. Perhaps you can tell me.
So far I’ve considered a Marshall AS50DC with two 8 inch celestions. Guy at the local music store said these would be better for solo playing than the Ibanez 80 watt Troubadour that I was considering as the price was attractive, but he said that would be better suited for band work where you have to “cut through “ other louder instruments. I considered the Peavy Ecoustic 110 with 100 watts and one 10 inch speaker and high frequency horn but its price is a bit steep for me right now, although the 10 inch speaker was attractive. I also considered the Fender Acoustasonic 90 with one 8 inch speaker. Then there is a used Traynor 150 watt amp at half its new price locally but it has two 6.5 inch speakers, but should that stop me?
I’d really appreciate your thoughts, opinions and experiences on this.