View Single Post
Old 10-02-2022, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I think this is a good move on Avid's part but Avid is such a dysfunctional company in that their focus seems to shift in ways that make some subset of customers feel unappreciated. Pro Tools levels and pricing is a great example of that but I think the best example is the way they abandoned the home studio market for about a decade.

The Digi 003 came out in 2007 and, like its predecessors, it was clearly aimed at the home studio user. But after that there wasn't another interface for the home studio market until Carbon in 2020, and the price of Carbon put it out of reach for the majority of that market. If they're going to do a free version of PT, they really should come out with a price-friendly entry-level interface. I would think that letting people grow within the ecosystem would make better sense than letting them start elsewhere with the hope they enter at some later date.
Yes Jim but there's dozens of really great third party interfaces available at very competitive prices. I think I read that the Focusrite 2i2 is the single best selling interface on the market. A really great performance package at well under $200.00. With all the endless competition in USB interfaces under $500.00, I don't think Digi felt a pressing need.