View Single Post
Old 09-27-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoryDavis View Post
I bought one used, never bonded with it, and sold it, broke even almost. On paper, it looks like a good amp. And there was nothing wrong with it at all. I think if you were playing any kind of high gain music, with breakup, it'd sound good. I was looking for a clean sound, and it certainly could produce that, but it just didn't draw me in. Totally subjective of course, some people swear by these amps and that is fine too...
The TDPRI folks seem to like them, as either a low-cost alternative to the Blues Junior or a mod platform; FWIW I've seen a couple of reviews which mention the OEM Celestion speaker as the weak link (great for high-gain stuff but very limited for anything else, as you state) - the Eminence Cannabis Rex seems to be the go-to here, and based on my own experience with the Swamp Thang in an EL84 amp I'd tend to agree. I also understand that the current front-panel iteration addresses the major issues in the initial run - poor-sounding reverb and bargain-basement tubes (they've upgraded the 'verb tank and gone to Ruby Tubes last I looked); considering it's purported to be a Laney Cub 12R in plain-vanilla (literally) packaging, at half the street price of the name-brand box it's a bargain by any reckoning - I've had one on my radar for a while as a lightweight backup for my Bugera V22, and I personally wouldn't hesitate to take the plunge...