View Single Post
Old 06-09-2021, 09:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanceen View Post
I was very impressed by a video from the president of Taylor a few years ago in which he described how black ebony is harvested. Apparently it's not known whether the wood is solid black until the tree is felled. So some number (I forget the number, but it was surprisingly large) of trees get cut down and then left on the ground because they don't have enough solid black material. He said they weren't going to specify all-black ebony any more.

I love the looks of black ebony, but I hate for such a wasteful process to go into guitars. And the black and white is really beautiful in itself.
Ah, I think we are speaking of two different species, at least possibly.
This guitar is not from that African ebony which is multi-colored, and enjoying a new sense of appreciation due to men like Taylor. But rather a different species from S.E. Asia. The species name eludes me at the moment, but it carries the eponymous name “Black and White”.

We DO have some African ebony that is from that ebony-saving project (á la Taylor) and it is amazing. It would be heartening to think there are preservation efforts for all the ebony species.

Crafted in the Piney Woods