View Single Post
Old 11-25-2016, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I just looked through the last page of this thread and have these thoughts.

I bind with plastic using wood purflings occasionally, but I use celluloid rather bolteron. Celluloid disolves in acetone nicely, by comparison, and if you run a brush loaded with acetone over it seconds before you put PVA glue on it the connection is much stronger that I would have guessed. Strong enough that the binding will be completely destroyed before it will peel off.

When I glue on my neck I use a caul on the fingerboard as well as one under the top and minor discrepancies such as yours appears to be are as nothing. Since you have chosen to fret after assembly, as I do, any irregularities in the playing surface are easily remedied.

Hi Bruce. Honestly, I didn't know I was ordering wood purlfings. I really thought it was plastic, however the wood was REALLY easy to work with, bent easily, and was easy to scrape flush.
I actually wasn't sure if I would be able to do it AND the plastic binding at once so I took 2 days and just taped up the purlfing first and did the binding the next day.
I'll try wood binding on the next instrument. Actually, doing the binding and purlfing has been my favorite part of this process! It's a huge boost when it comes flush!

My anxiety at this point is wondering about my neck joint. It will go in tight, but it doesn't take a lot to remove it really. Overall doing the dovetail has been a really great experience though. A little frustrating as a noob, but very educational IMO.

Hopefully I'll get some shots of the finish going on tomorrow morning should it be warm enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk