View Single Post
Old 05-23-2018, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
I don't know what to suggest regarding the legality of being an immigrant "worker" busker....

On one hand I'd say I agree with the post above saying that buskers are often viewed as a homeless nuisance, and many cops will try to shoo you away.

But on the other hand I'd say it seems pretty unlikely a local patrol cop is going to shake you down, check your passport, and call ICE on you for "working" illegally in the US. That just seems far fetched. IMHO anyway.

However, I did have a thought about a place to live. Here in the US, you can buy an old van or minivan (that's beat up and ugly, but totally useable) for a few thousand dollars. For not a lot of money, you can outfit it as your home. At the end of your stay you could sell the van for close to what you paid...

Here is a great Youtube video series about doing just that. He covers what types of vans, how to arrange it, how to store stuff, hygeine, etc...

It's more than likely down south or anywhere near a border that a cop could ask for ID and greencard if one is 'working'. If you're just sitting on a park bench playing, no case open for dollar bills, probably no hassle, but that's not what the OP wants to do - he wanted to supplement his rather meager savings. Sure, there are places where busking is 'normal', but the OP wants to travel around the country, not just stay in one safe place.
Here in the Northeast, a majority of cities/towns have some kind of rule in place - whether it be a permit, or allowed locations, or 'no amp', etc.

Van idea - - incredibly difficult to buy/lease/register/insure a vehicle in most US states without a legal residence and drivers license in that state - basically one needs a relative to do the 'paperwork' with their permanent residence location. A cheap used vehicle may break down and need costly repairs, but figuring $5000 + $1000 insurance and registration, then gas/tolls/parking/camping, it wouldn't take long to blow through a large chunk of that $26K.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele