View Single Post
Old 03-27-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
I've been using Reaper for about 4 years or so. I was recommended it as it was free to download and would allow me to learn about digital recording and mixing. Eventually I bought the license for it and nowadays I would class myself as a proficient user - though there are sophisticated features that leave me baffled or that I just haven't needed to explore yet.

While I agree that PT is still the industry standard for all the reasons stated earlier the tide is turning, not least through Avid's focus on the subscription model for many of their products. I know professionals who are migrating their projects away from PT for this reason.

What's more, I read an article in a Swedish trade magazine not that long ago that focussed on mastering and post production for film and music. One of the engineers interviewed who worked at a mastering studios in Stockholm used Reaper.
Not to beat a dead horse (poor Mr. Ed long been dead on the floor) but the tide is decidedly not turning. I do think those in my industry, which is audio for motion picture and television, kinda wonder just how long Avid is gonna hang in there. That said the interchanability between Pro Tools editors is absolutely mandatory. If you look at the trades here in Los Angeles most if not all advertise for a "Pro Tools" engineer. I can't think of a single major project I've worked on in the last 20 years that hasn't passed between multiple engineers, multiple bays, multiple facilities, back and forth between Avid editors and Pro Tools editors and even moved back and forth between the coasts. If someone along the lines jumped up and said they were working in Reaper they'd simple not be hired.

It goes even deeper when you begin to see the work-flow in various facilities. Some are ginormously anal with regard to keeping their Pro Tools templates exactly the same from bay to bay, engineer to engineer. There's little worse than to try an untangle a night crews mess who felt they'd be better off using their own special routing. The equivalent in the old days off wiping a board clean.

There are pragmatic and tangible reasons why Pro Tools is (at least in my industry) the standard. I'm certainly, like most, not sure what the future may bring Avid as it appears a bit rocky these days but I don't see any software anywhere even close to penetrating the industry.